Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A day in the life?

As I get older, I'm having a harder and harder time sleeping in in the morning. Travis would probably beg to differ on this seen as I can almost always sleep later than he can, and no matter what time I end up sleeping until - I'm always falling asleep on the couch by 9:00pm.

Anyway... I naturally wake up a lot earlier than I used to, and the earlier I know I have to be up, the earlier my body seems to wake me up.

This morning my alarm was set to go off at 6:00am to allow me enough time to make a couple of stops and be where I needed to be to pick up some folks at 7:45am.

I woke up at 4:00am.

And again at 5:00am.

And yet again at 5:15 and 5:30am.

At 5:50am I gave up and got out of bed.

After showering and getting ready I took Travis' car (his is better for transporting people than mine is) and headed out. I stopped to get gas, and pick up coffees from Starbucks (1 latte, 1 mocha, 1 caramel latte, and 1 peppermint mocha.)

I arrived at the Y a few minutes before 7:45am, distributed the coffee, picked up my three dance instructors, and headed over to Grandville Middle School to check out their auditorium - where we'll be holding our first ever Visser Family YMCA dance recital in June.

The auditorium was perfect, and we headed back to the Y.

The dance program has been running along so smoothly and growing in leaps and bounds - it's been great. And then... not one... but two, of my dance instructors hit me with personal issues that are going to affect their teaching schedules, and potentially cause them to leave the program before the recital. Damn.

It's not their fault. I am not upset with them. They are wonderful and talented individuals and I completely empathize with the things going on with their lives....

But I mean, shit. That sucks for my program.

Then I was called into a debriefing meeting about a shooting that happened in the parking lot of one of our other YMCA branches last night. That's all I can say about that.

I headed into work, where all was fine and normal. I finished a few odds and ends, then sat down for a meeting with my boss.

We talked about the economy. How the economy is affecting us. How the economy is affecting fundraising. Our fundraising goals for the next five years. What we need to do to make sure that our organization continues to be safe and secure.

It was not an uplifting conversation.

By that time I was starting to get really tired, and really hungry. I had forgotten to pack lunch - again.

At about 2:00pm hunger took over and I headed out in search of something. I ended up at McDonalds which was gross before, during, and after I consumed it. But at least I wasn't hungry afterwards.

I pulled back into our parking lot and almost ran over a man laying in the middle of the driveway.

He was just laying there, like he was sunbathing or something.

I wanted to ask him if he was okay, but the entire thing seemed a little sketchy.

I walked inside to tell my co-worker that there was a man laying in our parking lot. He was a drunk who had tried to walk in the front door of our building, was too drunk to open the door, had rolled down the sidewalk outside our building, and ended up in the parking lot.

Don't worry, he wasn't hurt.

We called the police. Two cop cars and an ambulance came and took him away. My tax dollars hard at work.

Eva and I stood and watched the entire thing transpire, alongside the Mormon boys who were visiting (they volunteer with us from time to time...)

Sad really.

Back to my desk to work on some ongoing projects. Now I'm very tired.

Leaving work shortly, will stop in at home to let Bella out. She will be sad that I can't stay and play.

Then it's back over to the YMCA to supervise more programs, and interview a new piano instructor.

8:00pm hits and I'll be heading home. No idea what we're going to eat since we haven't had time to get groceries this week.

Looks like it's take-out again : )

No comments: