Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cupcakes

I spent this afternoon making cupcakes. Random? Yes. On my huge list of to-do's for this weekend? Nope. Fun? Absolutely!

I've never made cupcakes from scratch before, and was inspired by a beautifully photographed article in this months issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine (I know, I know - Martha Stewart = kind of cheesy and obnoxious, but I really love her magazines!).

Anyhow, the article featured all kinds of different flavors of both cupcakes and frosting, and some beautiful decorating ideas. I stuck with two of what I assumed to be the easiest recipes.

The first cupcake I made was a chocolate cupcake with a dark chocolate glaze. Yum!



This recipe was so quick and easy it was unbelievable. The cupcakes turned out incredibly moist, and the glaze was to die for. This will be an easy go-to recipe for parties and events, when I need to whip something up to take.

Next, I moved on to strawberry cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting. The cupcakes took a little longer to cook than the chocolate ones - the batter was quite a bit thicker. I think I could have left them in a minute or two longer than I did, but I was afraid of them burning. They looked so pretty when they came out!


As you can see, they looked quite like muffins, and tasted similar as well. I think left unfrosted they'd work for breakfast.

I forged on into making the frosting - which was intimidating to say the least. The process of making the buttercream was far longer and more intense than making either of the cupcakes themselves. It turned out fine - although Trav and I agreed it could use a little more strawberry next time. I have a feeling that making frosting is one of those things you just kind of get a knack for the more you do it.

The cupcakes did look cute once they were finished though.



I need to get a palette knife so I can get the frosting smoother next time, but not bad for a first time out!

And now I have to run, we're ordering take-out Indian for dinner and are spending the night at home on the couch in our PJ's. What a perfect end to a relaxing Saturday!

No comments: