Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Only Constant In Life Is Change

Wow. 2009 sure has started off with a bang!

Most recently, both Travis and I have been dealing with a lot of stress (both positive and negative) and change in our work-lives.

Due to constant staffing changes at the Y where Travis works full-time, and where I help out by coordinating the arts and humanities programs on a limited part-time basis, Travis' work responsibilities have practically doubled - since he now operates a total of three pools at two different facilities.

I feel like I am still "coming into my own" in my full-time position at GAAH. Since the position is brand new - I feel like my job is constantly being defined and redefined, and the responsibilities and expectations ebbing and flowing as each day passes. As with any job, there are days when I am so inspired and motivated to be doing what I am doing, and there are days when I want to tear my hair out!

It's so funny that my whole philosophy and approach to life going into 2009 was that this was going to be the "calm" year. I mean, we did all the "big, life change" stuff in 2008, right? We got married, got the dog, bought the house, etc. But what I'm learning is that nothing is ever really status quo, if you really think about it. And would we want it to be?

While discussing all of the ups and downs of our current work situations, one of my arts instructors at the Y said to me yesterday "Ah well, the only constant in life is change, right?"

I couldn't have said it better.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow- very well put, indeed! We have been doing generally the same thing for the past couple years.. same basic routine and everything. And yet, nothing ever seems steady! I guess that's just how life is, huh?