Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Give

Yes, it's that time of year. Excuse me while I get on my "non-profit advocate" soap box...


Since children, we've been encouraged at this time of year to be thankful for our good health, family, friends, and lifestyles, and to think about those less fortunate than ourselves.

Now that we're adults, we can go one step further.

November and December bring year-end campaign letters in the mail. If you have donated to a charity in the past, you are bound to receive at least one letter, although those of you whom have never given may receive something as well.

I want to take a moment to encourage you to make a year end gift this year. I know that money is tight, and I know that we're all busy and stressed, but even a contribution of $25 is beneficial to many organizations, and well-deserved at this time of year.

Year-end dollars are unrestricted funds that non-profits are able to use for general operating monies throughout the year. The funds literally go towards keeping doors open, lights on, and staff employed, rather than on specific projects or capital expenses.

And it's doesn't end there. Many organizations accept food, toys, clothing, educational supplies, and more. All of these contributions are tax deductible as well. The bottom line is that we all have something to give, and there are plenty to give to:

There are educational organizations who give children the opportunity to learn and grow.

There are animal shelters who are aiding sick animals and placing unwanted ones in new homes.

There are hungry children, people who have been abused, children without toys this Christmas.

There are parks and safe-havens being destroyed by pollution.

There are people are dying of cancer and diabetes and malaria and AIDS.

There is so much heartache in our world.

Year-end giving allows us to touch the lives of others during the holiday season, and provides you with one final charitable write-off for your taxes before the calendar year closes.

What can you do to help? Can you give $25, $50, or $100? Giving back to your community is truly the best Christmas gift you can give.

I'll be adding a sidebar on my blog today compiling a list of worthy charitable organizations and their websites as I come across them throughout the month of December. Leave me a comment with the name of an organization you support, and a link to their website, and I'll add it to the list. Feel free to pass my blog link to anyone you come across, and spread the word about year end giving.

I'll try my best to highlight some of the organizations in blog posts throughout the month as well.


Stepping off my soapbox now... : )

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
Winston Churchill

No comments: